If you want to keep entertaining people on your patio, porch, or outdoor kitchen even when the days are colder, you are definitely thinking about getting an outdoor heater. It will sure make staying outside in lower temperatures a lot more comfortable and the pyramid shape makes them look good. But are pyramid patio heaters safe?
Because of their structure, which is wider at the bottom, pyramid heaters are unlikely to fall over, which makes them very safe. The flame inside them is also limited to the glass tube, which prevents the metal casing around it from getting hot. There is no need to worry about anything around a pyramid heater catching on fire. They usually even have a really good gas pipe with the safest gas regulator on the end.
Using a pyramid outdoor heater is one of the safest options for outdoor heating, but you should still follow a few safety tips because there is fire involved. Remember that safety should always come first no matter what and if at any point using a pyramid heater feels unsafe you should not use it.
Safety tips for using an outdoor pyramid heater
- Find a spot that is leveled. Even though pyramid heaters are unlikely to tip over because of their structure, finding a leveled spot to place them is still a must. It is highly recommended that you use a spirit level when deciding where to place it. If you do not own one, you can also just download a spirit-level app for your phone, which should work as well.
- Make sure you have a fire extinguisher nearby for maximum safety. Although it is highly unlikely for anything to catch fire from your pyramid outdoor heater, it is still a good idea to have a fire extinguisher ready, which can also be used if anything else goes wrong like a bonfire getting out of hand, etc.
- Check the gas pipe for leaks. Whenever you turn your outdoor gas heater on, you have to turn on the gas first. It is at that point when it is best to check for leaks. This will make the use much safer and it does not take up much additional time since you are already looking at the gas regulator. We also recommend that you check for leaks whenever you are changing the gas tank and that you also change the ring rubber gas seal ring whenever you do so.
- Make sure there is enough space around the heater. This is not just for safety but also for practicality. People will probably feel cold and will want to stand around the heater therefore it is always better to have free space around it.
- Keep the kids away. Although it has been said many times that outdoor gas heaters are safe, it is still a very good idea to keep the kids away from them.
- Keep the metal doors for the gas tank closed. This should be obvious, but just to reassure, check that the door is closed so nothing can get in.
Are pyramid outdoor heaters waterproof?
Most propane gas-fueled outdoor heaters are waterproof, but that does not mean that it is smart to leave them outdoors. It is much smarter to store your outdoor heater under a covered area like a garden shed etc. This is because of rain, snow, or even hail which will damage your heater. It is also a good idea to keep them covered with a cover while they are being stored. This will prevent dust and insects from entering the inside of the heater, which may cause problems. Please check your heater’s user guide to make sure it is waterproof.
Pyramid outdoor heaters are one of the safest ways to keep your guests warm even on colder days. Even though the shape itself is preventing it from tipping over it is a must to place it on leveled ground. It is also a good thing to keep a fire extinguisher nearby just in case and to check the gas pipe for leaks on a regular basis. Given the number of people that you plan to entertain outside make sure there is enough space around the heater for them to hang out in a warm environment. Propane gas-fueled outdoor heaters are waterproof so do not worry if yours gets wet but it is better to store them in a dry place with a cover on top to prevent dust and insects from entering it.